2019-2020 BPW/Michigan - LEGISLATIVE PLATFORM
The Equal Rights Amendment, as authored by Alice Paul, is the priority above all other issues that may
appear on this platform until equal legal rights for women and men becomes guaranteed in the United
States Constitution: The Equal Rights Amendment:
“Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.”
To improve the economic security of women and families by advocating for:
- Equal pay
- Equal educational opportunity
- Financial literacy
- Ending all forms of bias in the workplace
- Support for women-owned businesses
- Social Security and pension reform
- Eliminating discrimination based on sexual orientation in all areas including marriage, housing, and child custody, and especially in employment.
- Support the constitutional right of women to make the best reproductive decisions for themselves, their families, and their future without governmental interference.
- Support eradicating human trafficking and raise awareness of human trafficking in both sexual and labor exploitation.
- Support the development of health care policies that recognize the special healthcare needs of women and children.
- Support efforts to improve racial, ethnic, and gender justice.
- Eliminate all forms of harassment and violence.
- Support civil and human rights of all immigrants, including a fair and just path to legal status.
In order to achieve a healthy and sustainable environment we will support efforts to:
- Provide healthy food to eat
- Safe water to drink
- A clean, renewable energy system to power our lives, and protect the planet.
Adopted at the October 2020 BPW/Michigan Convention